The four hundred acre estate was originally part of the “Rancho Catacula” land grant, given to Joseph Ballinger Chiles in 1843 by the last Mexican governor of California. The Chiles family later sold a portion of their land to Francis Sievers, a German pioneer. In the 1870’s, Sievers founded Lomita’s Vineyard and Winery on the site. The original winery building, some of the tanks, and the original press still remain on the Estate. The oldest cabernet vines were planted by the Eisele’s in 1975 and continue to yield fruit of superb quality.